Trademark Law Amendment incorporating the EU Directive 2015/2436
On the 5th of June 2020, the EU Directive 2015/2436, was passed by the House of Representatives, which among other things harmonizes the Cyprus Law with the EU.
The new trademark law amendment radically overhauls the trademark registration and protection system, simplifies existing procedures, and introduces innovations. Among other things, the new legislation provides for:
- New procedure for the examination, approval, and registration of a Trademark.
- The availability of a multiclass application.
- New types of Marks, such as position, pattern, color, audio, movement and holographic.
- Increase the life of the Trademark from 7 to 10 years.
- Single fee for the entire registration process.
- Introduction of the amicable settlement to the objection procedure.
- Repeal the affidavit and replace it with a confirmation letter.
- Simplification of the trademark transfer procedure.
- Possibility of electronic sending of missing forms, or supporting documents, through the system of electronic filing of applications, ensuring the legality of the transaction, having as evidence the date and time of the completion of the transaction.